The Armistice Clearing

Clairière de l'Armistice - © Oise Tourimse / VanEesBeeck

"Red Line" Distance  14 km

Located in the Compiègne National Forest, the Armistice Clearing is one of the most significant sites of the Great War. It was here that the German plenipotentiaries signed the armistice, in Marshal Ferdinand Foch's train carriage office, on 11 November 1918. While awaiting the conclusion of the peace treaty, this armistice signalled the end of hostilities that had already killed 9 million soldiers.

In 1922, the memorial site was designed by the architect Magès, and a wealthy American donor financed a shelter that welcomed the famous carriage in 1927.

On 21 June 1940, Hitler sat down in the very same carriage seat occupied by Marshal Foch nearly 22 years earlier, and had read to him the preamble of the proposed armistice agreement to be signed the following day. A few days later, the Germans set out to erase all traces of the 1918 "affront": the famous train carriage was sent to Germany, as were the various methodically dismantled monuments, with the exception of the Marshal Foch statue.


In 1950, the Armistice Clearing was restored to its original 1927 design, with a replica "sibling carriage" replacing the original 2419 D carriage destroyed in April 1945. In addition, two museum rooms present a rich collection of documents and numerous objects relating to both World Wars.




Panorama clairière de l'armistice (Enlarge image). Clairière de l'Armistice - © Oise Tourisme / Eric VAN EES BEECK


Musée de l'Armistice

route de Soissons 60200 Compiegne

Tel fax:,

Full rate: €5, closed Tuesdays during the off-season.



The Armistice Clearing 49.427288 2.906408000000056
Agrandir la carte
The Armistice Clearing 49.427288 2.906408000000056

En images

  • Page top